Thursday, July 9, 2009

Search vs Navigation

Well, usually I search everything on Google. If I compare it to some other engines I can see some differences and I always see a variation on the search results. I like how Lexxe creates a cluster of related search terms to the left hand side of the screen. I like how Hakia shows image results along with the search results. I like how Quintura has an interactive cluster of related terms related to your search and if you hover over them the list of results simultaneously changes. And I like about Bing that it keeps a history of your searches in the current session which you can see on the left had side of the screen, that way you can keep track of what you searched already.
Those are not the only search engines I know about, there is also ask.com, about.com and metacrawler.com. Ask.com will show you the search results along with questions that people have asked similar to your search results. About.com has a list of topics and categories aside from the search bar. and Metacrawler.com searches several search engines (google, yahoo, msn & ask) so searching here is like searching in all of them at once. Also it will show you a list of the most popular searches at the moment that way if that is what you are looking for, you can just click on it instead of having to type in the search bar. I guess it all depends on you, since we have different preferences, different search engines exist. Hopefully one of so many will fit your demands.

No comments: